Estate Agency Complaint handling & dispute resolution policy

How to make a complaint

B J Wilkinson Real Estate aims to make it easy for you to bring any problems or complaints to our attention.

You should first raise your issue with the agent, representative or property manager who is handling your business.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome, you can make a complaint to us by:

  • telephone (during business hours): call 0418 385 429 and ask to speak to Barbara Wilkinson
  • email:
  • post: P.O. Box 9235 Brighton vic 3186

Please provide as much detail as possible about your complaint, including the outcome you would like.

If you need help to describe or send your complaint, or if you would like to discuss your concerns informally first, please feel free to contact us.

How we will handle your complaint

Our complaints officer will oversee the complaints process. This person is responsible for working with you and relevant agency staff, to ensure that the issues you raise are fully examined and that your complaint is handled in accordance with this process.

We will treat the process, and all the details of your complaint, in strict confidence. If we need to discuss any issues arising from your complaint with someone outside of the agency, we will obtain your consent first.

We will always try to give you a fair opportunity to explain your case. You should make your initial complaint as clear as possible. Sometimes we may want to meet you in person to discuss your concerns and try to find a satisfactory solution.

How long will it take?

We will try to resolve your complaint as soon as possible. However, how long this takes will depend on the nature and complexity of the issues you have raised.

We will send you acknowledgment of receipt of the complaint within two business days. We will give you an estimate of how long it may take us to deal with the matter and we will try to finalise the matter within five business days.

What action will we take in response to your complaint?

If we decide that your complaint is justified, we will then decide what action we should take in response. We will always try to match our response to the nature of your complaint and your desired outcome, but this may not always be possible.

Some of the things we might do include:

  • take steps to rectify the problem or issue you have raised
  • give you additional information or advice so you can understand what happened or how we have dealt with it
  • take steps to change our policies or procedures if your complaint identifies a problem in the way we are doing things.

What if you’re still unhappy?

Sometimes it will not be possible to resolve a complaint to everyone’s satisfaction, and you might want to escalate the matter to Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV).

CAV can deal with enquiries and complaints about real estate agents and offers information, advice and dispute resolution services on real estate issues.

You can telephone CAV on 1300 73 70 30, Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm to discuss your complaint.

Making a complaint concerning commissions and/or outgoings

Under Section 49A(1)(c)(iv) of the Estate Agents Act 1980 the engagement or appointment must include a statement in a form approved by the Director of Consumer Affairs Victoria as to where a complaint concerning any commission or outgoings can be made.

Form approved by the Director under Section 49A(1)(c)(iv)

Any complaint relating to commission or outgoings can be made to the Director, Consumer Affairs Victoria, GPO Box 4567, Melbourne VIC 3001 or by telephoning 1300 73 70 30.

Unless there are exceptional circumstances, Consumer Affairs Victoria cannot deal with any dispute concerning commission or outgoings unless it is given notice of the dispute within 28 days of the client receiving an account for, or notice that the agent has taken the amount in dispute, whichever is later.